In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Biddeford Mills Museum

Pepperell's vacant Mill #2, Biddeford, 2015

Contributed by Biddeford Mills Museum
MMN Item 103929 Item Details
Pepperell's vacant Mill #2, Biddeford, 2015
MMN Item 103929 Zoom

Description

In 1854 the Saco Water Power Company built the Pepperell building Mill #3, later known as Mill #2 or Lincoln Street Mill, as of the 1900s, to produce thread for the Pepperell weave sheds.

The mill ceased operation around 1970, when WestPoint Pepperell moved the entire Biddeford Cotton Division to mills in the South, and sold the Blanket Division land, buildings, and machinery, to Sunbeam Corporation who formed the Biddeford Textile Company.

Developer Tim Harrington, purchased the mill complex in 2015, began renovating the former textile Mill #2 into 181 apartments, a fitness club and restaurant.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.